Detoxification, or detoxing as it’s commonly known, has earned a bad reputation. Many people think of detoxing as 7, 14, or even 21 days of drinking nothing but liquids. These short-term, high-effort, and nutrient-poor diets are ineffective at best and dangerous at worst.
In fact, the human body is designed to detox itself every day through the gut, kidneys, skin, liver, and lungs. When detoxing is done in a healthy and safe manner, it can remove toxins from your body, improve immunity, slow down aging, increase energy, give you radiant skin, and help you lose weight.
1. Drink plenty of H2O: The human body is made up of 60-75% water. Drinking water is the easiest and the best way to detox. What you’re essentially doing is helping your kidneys flush out waste from your body. The aim should be to drink eight 8-oz glasses of water a day. Keeping well hydrated also does wonders for your skin and helps weight loss by keeping hunger pangs at bay.
2. Work up a sweat: If you’re spending all your time in an air conditioned environment, you’re missing out on a natural way to detox. Sweat is one of the body’s primary ways of getting rid of toxins. Make sure you sweat when you exercise. Spend some time outdoors. If you have access to a sauna, use it to get those beads of sweat rolling and expel those toxins from your system.
3. Take a deep breath: Poor posture and bad breathing habits keep our lungs from inhaling enough oxygen and expelling all the carbon dioxide. Try some yogic deep breathing exercises, preferably in the fresh air, to expel toxins via the aerial route.
4. Go organic: Are you aware of how much of your food comes out of cans, bottles, and boxes? Any food that is processed in a factory has chemicals, preservatives, and additives that accumulate in our bodies. Organically grown food is free from pesticides.
For a natural way to detox, cut down on processed foods. Make fruits and vegetables a big portion of your diet – their high fiber content helps regulate the bowels and flush out toxins via the digestive system.
5. Spice it up: Turmeric, cumin, cloves, mustard, ginger, garlic, saffron, red pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, and cilantro are an inherent part of Indian cuisine. They also happen to be excellent detox spices that are antioxidants and help the liver drive out toxins from our bodies. Use these traditional Indian ingredients in healthy recipes to help your body detox.
6. Strike a pose: The systematic stretching and compressing of muscles in yoga stimulate the circulatory, digestive, and lymph systems of the body and helps them to cleanse and detox. In fact, exercise of any kind helps the body detoxify itself by breathing, sweating, circulating, and stretching.
Try these simple detoxing techniques to cleanse your body and restore its balance. You’ll feel more energetic, you’ll sleep better, you’ll look younger, and you’ll probably drop a few pounds in the bargain.
Stay upto date with our latest news and products.
Your email is safe with us, we don't spam