They say that your skin is an external reflection of what is going on inside your body, and in honesty, this is not too far from the truth.If having a clear complexion without blemishes and maintaining a youthful appearance is important to you, then it is essential that you eat foods which contain the important skin nutrients and avoid certain detrimental lifestyle habits.
1. Get the right nutrientsSome of the most important nutrients for good skin include vitamin A, essential fats, and zinc. High vitamin A foods include sweet potatoes, carrots, dark leafy greens, winter squashes, lettuce, dried apricots, cantaloupe, bell peppers, fish, liver, and tropical fruits, so be sure to get plenty of these foods into your diet.
Essential fats can be obtained from nuts- especially almonds and walnuts- as well as foods such as avocado, while zinc-friendly foods include oysters, liver, lamb, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, and peanuts.Just be aware that some of these foods are high-calorie foods and should therefore be eaten in moderate amounts- you can still get plenty of what you need for glowing skin by eating them in moderation.
2. Limit the bad habitsIt goes without saying that the foods and drinks you probably already know are not good for you should be avoided if you want to have a clear complexion.Try and limit alcohol, coffee, and tea consumption, as well as foods and drinks that are high in sugar and saturated fat.
Alcohol and caffeine dehydrates the skin by moving fluid out of the body, which can cause to premature wrinkles, and sugar also hastens the aging process.You need to also avoid exposure to smoke from cigarettes and eliminate toxins from your environment which can disrupt your hormonal balance that is often reflected in how clear your complexion appears.
Those pimples that pop up every month are usually related to hormonal imbalances and fluctuations which have a direct bearing on your skin.
3. Eat plenty of fresh produceIt is also obvious that having a high intake of fresh fruits and veggies is important for glowing skin . Fresh produce contains important vitamins and antioxidants that help to fight the aging process. You also don’t have to worry about how much fresh produce you eat- the more the better!
Fresh fruits and veg help to hydrate your skin as well as giving it a healthy boost through all the macro and micro nutrients that are contained within them.Aim to eat the rainbow of colors from fruit and veg with your meals to get the whole range of minerals and nutrients that your skin will totally benefit from you eating. Try to choose organic also, whenever possible.
4. Stay HydratedYou want to avoid dehydration at all costs if you want to keep the wrinkles at bay. Stay hydrated by drinking at least a liter of clean, filtered water a day.
If that gets boring, try infusing your water with fruit and herbs, or try drinking caffeine-free herbal teas.If you only drink when you already feel thirsty, it means dehydration has already begun, so carry a water bottle around with you and sip from it throughout the day to keep consistently well-hydrated.
5. Vitamin C is essential in the manufacture of collagen, a protein that is essential in keeping the skin’s elasticity. It is always best to get vitamin C from food based sources- citrus fruits, as well as bell peppers, dark leafy greens, kiwis, broccoli, berries, tomatoes, peas, and papayas are all great sources of this awesome skin-friendly vitamin.
If it is hard for you to get these foods into your diet then supplement with a good multivitamin and mineral supplement.
A clear, glowing complexion is possible to obtain by watching what you eat and avoiding foods and bad habits that are not so beneficial. Eating whole foods and avoiding toxins and chemicals is truly the key to skin that glows and remains youthful for longer.
Stay upto date with our latest news and products.
Your email is safe with us, we don't spam