The 80/20 Rule: 80% Health & 20% Indulgence!



Pareto principle – A principle, named after economist Vilfredo Pareto was highlighted to explain an economic concept – how 80% of property in Italy was owned by 20% of the country’s population. It is a standard principle and can be applied in a wide range of areas such as manufacturing, management, human resources, etc. In the context of weight loss the 80:20 rule is not any type of diet rather it refers to overall lifestyle change for faster achievement of results!

The basic aim of a weight loss regime is to eat a perfect diet which can help you lose weight in a speedily manner. As soon as an individual plans to lose weight he/she adopts a rigid diet regime which rather than becoming a stepping stone becomes a hurdle in the process. This is where 80:20 rule comes into action as it helps you to stay realistic to your diet plans. It teaches you about balance and moderation, a concept that never exists in a fad diet. To keep it simple and straight the idea is to eat healthily for around 80% of the time, and then to feel free to eat the foods of your choice for the other 20% of time. It plays a key role in keeping you motivated and makes the whole clean-living thing feel doable for the long run.

This rule gives more importance to healthy food choices which play a key role in achieving the desired goals. 8 healthy parts and 2 parts indulgence is what you should aim at to have a longer and happier diet routine. Your 8 healthy parts should consist of a variety of fresh seasonal produce, lean organic protein, unprocessed whole grains and good quality essential fatty acids. To assist you with eating all the right foods is to simply think “rainbow” – if it’s full of brightly colored fresh produce you know you’re on the right track.

For an effective application of this principle apply the 80% rule to weekdays and enjoy the 20% indulgence on weekends. It can be easier to live healthily Monday to Friday and roster in your treats and cheats as a reward on the weekend. Just because you’re eating well 80% of the time, that doesn’t mean you should use the remaining 20% to go on an all-out unhealthy binge. You should still watch your portion sizes.

They key to success is to plan your treat meals in advance so that you have something to look forward to. In case you don’t feel the need to indulge, avoid it!

Opt for ‘good’ food 80% of the time by cutting down on:

1. Alcohol

2. White bread; Refined flour

3. Potatoes

4. Sugar (Visible and hidden)

5. Bad fats

6. Ready-made meals

7. Fizzy drinks

8. Caffeine

9. Refined carbs

What to do?

1. Eat & cook healthily

2. Breakfast is a must

3. Eat slowly and stop when 80% full

4. Exercise every day – or at least 4-5 times a week (half an hour)

5. Drink at least 8 glasses of water

6. Smart snacking – fruits, nuts, etc.

7. Eat at least 5 portions of fruit and veg daily!

To sum up the above discussion, the 80/20 rule is a doable, healthy lifestyle plan that helps you to reach your weight loss goals without losing out on fun and taste!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check out the MevoFit social channels